Debt Collection Operations Allowed to Resume
On June 4, 2020, the Financial Institutions Division lifted the moratorium on debt collection and advised that collection agency my operate subject to “all remaining Emergency Directives issued by Governor Sisolak, any guidance issued by any state agency, any Justice Court Orders for each jurisdiction, and comply with all applicable state and federal laws. As well as, following all health and safety guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of Nevada.”
On September 18, 2020, the Financial Institutions Division issued Temporary Guidance extending its previous collection agency guidance regarding working from home until December 31, 2020.
Order restricting access to Carson City and Las Vegas Courts
Justice Court, Las Vegas Twp., Clark County
On March 17 the Justice Court issued Administrative Order 20-3 (a copy of which is available here).
- In Small Claims Courts, all trials motion hearings and examinations of judgment debtors were suspended.
- It also suspended default requests in the Las Vegas Justice Court, but pending applications for default judgments would be processed.
- All deadline and default provisions contained in NRS Chapter 40 concerning eviction and unlawful detainer proceedings are suspended and stayed.
- The Las Vegas Justice Court suspended issuing orders for the examination of a judgment debtor.
- The Las Vegas Justice Court suspended the issuance of all Writs of Execution and all currently issued writs stayed until April 20.
- Properly garnished or attached after March 17, 2020, must be released back to the judgment debtor.
Administrative Order 20-3 was extended on April 22 by Administrative Order 20-09; however, the latest order also states:
- Writs of Execution have been stayed until April 30, but will resume on May 1
- “All previously issued Writs of Execution not otherwise expired pursuant to statute may be fully enforced without additional order from the court beginning May 1, 2020.”
On May 28, 2020, Administrative Order #20-11 was issued, providing for:
- resumption of small claims trials and motions hearings
- continued suspension of civil jury trials
- resumption of defaults under Rule 55
- continued stay of the issuance orders for judgement debtor examinations